Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Where the Mild Things Are...

This book was so ...well, wild for a kid. I've never seen anything that came close to it's intensity 'cept James and the Giant Peach, and look what happened to that.

Please, please, please, may the planets align, lightning be bottled, and the lamp be the only thing getting a vigorous rubbing with the behind the scenes making of this flick. Thing is, what I've seen so far is about as defanged as I'd expected it to be. Hell, right off the bat, the palette's all warm sepias instead of bold, hard blues & blacks. My take above might be darker, but it's a lot closer to the the vibe of the book I got as a kid than a a warm fall day with a sad looking monster peeking out from behind a tree at you. Ooooooo, danger, danger!!

Obviously, the unimaginative machine HAS to raid the talented vaults of yesteryear, and if anyone's going to direct it, Jonze's the guy, but....

Ahhh, it's gonna be shite, period. Bets?